My formative years were spent in the 80's with foundational bands like New Order, Depeche Mode, Echo & the Bunnymen, The Cure, and Jane's Addiction. Even though the 80's was the pioneer decade for the alternative genre, this music transcended into the 90's and to some cool tunes today which could be classified as alternative. Hopefully, this site will bring back some good memories and introduce some things you haven't heard before.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome.

Enjoy.

Monday, April 26, 2010

'Cherub Rock' by Smashing Pumpkins

Album: Siamese Dream
Released: 1993
Theme: alternative rock

Man, I love this song - actually it could be my favorite by the band. Interesting fact: the band formed in Chicago but relocated to Triclops Studios in Marietta, Georgia for the album sessions.

I didn't know much about the band until I saw the 1994 Lollapalooza which changed the way I looked at both SP and Beastie Boys.

Anyway, 'Cherub Rock' rocks. I like it just because it sounds good in a surreal kind of way.


1 comment:

  1. The Pumpkins at the peak of their powers!! For me, I just love the guitar work on this album.

    Too bad they got so full of themselves after the success of this album (I couldn't bear to participate in Infinite Mellon Collie crap).

    You might also like some of the songs on Gish (the predecessor to Siamese Dream).

    ReplyDelete